MOBILE PHONE AND GADGET THEFT, DAMAGE & EXTENDED WARRANTY INSURANCE
POLICYTERMS AND CONDITIONS
This insurance is arranged by Warranty & Creditor Services of 6 Faraday Office Park, Rankine Road, Basingstoke, RG24 8QB.
It is underwritten by UK General Insurance Limited on behalf of Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) SE
Warranty & Creditor Services, isauthorisedandregulated bytheFinancialConductAuthority.ThiscanbecheckedontheFCAregisterbyvisitingtheFCAwebsite atwww.fca.org.uk/register/ or by contactingthem on0800 111 6768.
UK General Insurance Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England No. 4506493. Registered Office: Cast House, Old Mill Business Park, Gibraltar Island Road, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS101RJ.
Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) SE, is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, Registered in England No. SE000083. Registered Office: Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AJ. This can be checked on the Financial Services Register at www.fca.org.uk/firms/systems-reporting/register or by calling them on 0800 111 6768.
Intention of Cover
This Insurance provides cover for YourEquipmentagainst Accidental Damage, Theft, Misuse of Equipment and Breakdown.
The words or expressions detailed below have the following meaning wherever they appear in this policy and will appear in bold with a capital letter.
Accidental Damage An accidental and unforeseen failure, breakage or destruction of YourEquipment, with visible evidence of an external force being applied and which results in the Equipment being rendered unusable.
Administrator Warranty & Creditor Services of 6 Faraday Office Park, Rankine Road, Basingstoke RG24 8QB Tel (01256) 471387.
Breakdown The failure of any electrical or mechanical component in YourEquipment due to a sudden and unforeseen fault, which causes the Equipment to stop working in the way the manufacturer intended and which requires repair or replacement before the Equipment can be used again
Computer Virus means a set of corrupting, harmful or otherwise unauthorised instructions or code including a set of maliciously introduced unauthorised instructions or code, programmatic or otherwise, that propagate themselves through a computer system or network of whatsoever nature. Computer virus includes but is not limited to 'Trojan Horses', 'worms' and 'time or logic bombs'
Electronic Data means facts, concepts and information converted to a form useable for communications, interpretation or processing by electronic and electromechanical data processing or electronically controlled equipment and includes programmes, software and other coded instructions for the processing and manipulation of data or the direction and manipulation of such equipment.
Equipment The Equipment specified in the Schedule or any subsequent Equipment You replace it with subject to being able to provide proof of purchase and usage.
Forced and violent Entry/exit evidenced by visible damage to the fabric of the building, room or vehicle at the point of entry.
Loss Where the Electronic Equipment has been accidentally lost by You in a known location and You are permanently deprived of its use.
Misuse of Equipment If You have a valid claim for Theft of Your Equipment, this covers the costs of any calls up to the sum insured made by another person using Your Equipment without Your permission following Theft
Monthly Premium The agreed amount payable by You by Direct Debit each month in order that cover remains in force under the
Payment terms and conditions of this policy wording.
Period of Insurance 12 months from inception of cover.
Schedule The schedule shown on the certificate of insurance.
Theft The unlawful taking of YourEquipment against Your will by another party, with the intent to permanently depriveYou of that property.
Unattended Not within Your sight at all times and out of Yourarms-length reach.
We/Us/Our//Insurer(s) Means UK General InsuranceLimited on behalf of Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) SE
You(r) The Person who owns the Equipment as stated on the insurance Schedule or an immediate family member or other person named on the Schedule.
What We will cover
Like all insurance policies, there are key exclusions and conditions. Please refer to these specific paragraphs below:
Theft: If YourEquipmentis stolen Wewill replace it.
Loss: If your Equipment is Lost and You have selected this element of cover and paid the additional premium We will replace Your Equipment.
Accidental Damage:Wewill pay repair costs if YourEquipmentis damaged as the result of an accident.
Breakdown:If a Breakdown of YourEquipment occurs outside of the manufacturer’s guarantee or warranty period We will pay the repair costs. If We are unable to economically repair YourEquipment then, a replacement item will be provided.
Misuse of Equipment: If You have a valid claim for Theftor Lossof Your Equipment, this covers the costs of any calls up to the sum insured made by another person using Your Equipment without Your permission following Theftor Loss.
The policy will automatically renew each year unless You contact the Administrator to advise that You do not want to renew the policy. Buymobilephone-ins Limited will contact You approximately one month before renewal is due to notify You of renewal
Ourmaximum liability in respect of any one claim for Theft, Accidental Damage and Breakdown will be the replacement cost of YourEquipmentand in any event shall not exceed £1000.
Ourmaximum liability in respect of any one claim for Misuse ofEquipment shall not exceed £250.
The Insurance does not cover:-
- Theft, Loss, Accidental Damage or Breakdown covered by any other insurance or warranty
TheftLoss or Accidental Damage to the Equipment:-
- whilst left in an unattended motor vehicle unless the Equipment is concealed from view and all doors, windows and other openings of the vehicle have been left closed, securely locked and properly fastened with the ignition and other keys removed and such door, window, opening, lock or fastener has been forcibly and violently accessed to gain entry
- whilst left on any motor vehicle roof, bonnet or boot
- from any property, place or premises unless such Theft or damage has occurred through Forced and Violent entry or exit
- The first £75 of each and every claim on iPhones. For other phones the policy excess is £50. Any Loss claims will be subject to an additional excess of £25.
- The maximum number of claims that may be made in respect of total loss (either Theft or irreparable damage) on any Equipment, is two
- Any claims arising within the first 14 days of inception of the policy where the Equipment is more than 6 months of age when the insurance commences.
- Theft where the Equipment has been left Unattended when it is away from Yourhome.
- TheftLossor Accidental Damage to the Equipment whilst on hire or loan to any third party
- Any costs in excess of the repair or replacement of the Equipment
- Accidental Damage or Breakdown through negligence, abuse or misuse of the Equipment including any incident where the Equipment is placed into a washing machine whether accidentally or otherwise
- Accessories to YourEquipment
- Any claim when You are outside the UK for a period of longer than 90 days
- The cost of any claim whatsoever relating to software or any date changes
- Cosmetic damage where the Equipment still functions normally
- Loss caused by a manufacturer’s defect or recall of the Equipment, or any faults or issues that can be traced as being existing prior to the commencement of the policy
- The cost of repairs or replacement carried out by anyone not approved by the Administrator and the use of non-approved components
- Any loss of or damage to any data stored on or contained within the Equipment
- Theft,Lossor Accidental Damage unless a SIM card registered to You was in Your mobile phone at the time of the incident
- Terrorism, war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities whether war is declared or not, civil war, rebellion, revolution insurrection, military or usurped power, confiscation, nationalism or requisition or destruction or damage to property by or under the order of any government or public or legal authority
Damage or destruction caused by, contributed to or arising from:
- ionizing radiation or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel; or
- the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or component thereof.
- Damage or destruction directly occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices traveling at sonic or supersonic speeds.
- Loss, damage, destruction, distortion, erasure, corruption or alteration of Electronic Data from any cause whatsoever (including but not limited to Computer Virus) or loss of use, reduction in functionality, cost, expense of whatsoever nature resulting therefrom, regardless of any other cause or event contributing concurrently or in any other sequence to the loss.
However, in the event that a peril listed below results from any of the matters described in paragraph above, this Policy, subject to all its terms, conditions and exclusions, will cover physical damage occurring during the Policy period to property insured by this Policy directly caused by such listed peril.
Listed Perils: Fire, Explosion
- The Equipment must have been purchased from a UK based supplier who is VAT registered and at the time you apply for insurance the equipment must be less than 36 months in age, in your possession, be in good working condition and free from any damage or defects. Please note that you must supply a copy of your VAT invoice when you make a claim.
- If you make a claim you must pay all remaining monthly premiums before We can authorize Your claim.
- If YourEquipment is subject to Theft, Loss, Accidental Damage or BreakdownWe will at Our own option either pay for the cost of repairs by a qualified engineer authorised by the Administrator or replace YourEquipment with an item of the same or similar specification subject to availability.
- Cover is only available if Your Monthly Premium Payment has been paid from the start date of this insurance and there are no outstanding payment defaults.
- We may alter the premiums by giving You thirty days notice to proportionately reflect legitimate cost increases or reductions associated with insuring YourEquipment. This does not affect Your statutory rights under this insurance contract. In the event of any increase in premiums You have the right to immediately cancel this contract
- We may take legal action against any third party responsible for a loss.
- You must take all reasonable steps to protect and preserve YourEquipment and minimiseOur liability.
Reasonable steps includes
- not deliberately leaving the Equipment out of Your own sight but in view of other people
- promptly returning to the place of any Theft or Loss to try to recover the Equipment as soon as You become aware the Equipment has gone missing.
- checking the Equipment is on Your person before leaving any form of public transport or taxi
- Unless some other law is agreed in writing, this policy is governed by English law. If there is a dispute, it will only be dealt with in the courts of England or of the country within the United Kingdom in which Your main residence is situated.
Consumer Insurance Act
You are required by the provisions of the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012 to take care to:
- supply accurate and complete answers to all the questions We or the administrator may ask as part of Your application for cover under the policy
- to make sure that all information supplied as part of Your application for cover is true and correct
- tellUs of any changes to the answers You have given as soon as possible.
Failure to provide answers in-line with the requirement of the Act may mean that Your policy is invalid and that it does not operate in the event of a claim.
If We obtain evidence which suggests that You were careless in providing Us with the information We have relied upon in setting the terms and premium of this insurance and if Your carelessness causes Us to provide You with insurance cover which We would not otherwise have offered or would have offered on different terms and premium, We may:
- Give You notice in writing that You must pay more for Your insurance;
- Give You notice in writing that the terms of Your insurance have changed; or
Cancel this contract of insurance by giving You thirty days’ notice and return any premium paid for the balance of the remaining term.
If We give You notice that the terms of Your insurance have changed or that You must pay more for Your insurance, then You may give Us thirty days’ notice in writing if You wish to terminate the contract.
Any return premium due to You will depend on how long this contract has been in force and whether You have made a claim.
If We establish that You deliberately or recklessly provided Us with false information We may:
- Treat this insurance as if it never existed;
- Decline all claims; and
- Retain the premium (all or part, unless it would be unfair to do so)
In the event of Theftor Lossof the EquipmentYou must within 24 hours of discovery of the incident notify:
- Your telephone service provider to bar YourEquipment from further use within 24 hours.
- The police and obtain a crime reference
- The Administrator within 48 hours to obtain a claim form either by telephone on (01256) 471387 or by email to email@example.com., or complete a claim form online at https://wcsinsurance.co.uk/
You must fully complete the claim form and return it to the Administrator together with documentary proof of the crime reference and proof of any forced entry (where applicable).
For Misuse ofEquipment claims You must provide Your original airtime bill showing the calls that were made following Theft.
In the event of damage or Breakdown outside of the manufacturer’s warranty You must within 48 hours of discovery of the incident notify the Administrator on (01256) 471387 to obtain a claim form or complete a claim online at http://claims.wcsinsurance.eu/
You must fully complete the claim form and return it to the Administrator and send the Equipment by Royal Mail Special Delivery to Our authorized repairer whose address is shown on the claim form, who will then arrange repairs.
Claims will only be considered if YourMonthly Premium Payment has been paid from the start date of this insurance, up to and including the month in which the claim occurred and there are no outstanding payment defaults.
You must supply the Administrator with any receipts or documentation requested in the event of a claim.
If Youdecide that for any reason, this Policy does not meet Yourinsurance needs then please return it to the Administrator within 14 days from the day of purchase or the day on which Youreceive Yourpolicy documentation, whichever is the later. On the condition that no claims have been made or are pending, Wewill then refund Yourpremium in full.
Thereafter Youmay cancel the insurance cover at any time by informing the Administrator however no refund of premium will be payable
We shall not be bound to accept renewal of any insurance and may at any time cancel any insurance document by giving 14 days notice in writing where there is a valid reason for doing so. A cancellation letter will be sent to You at Your last known address. Valid reasons may include but are not limited to:
- Non-payment of premium
- Threatening and abusive behaviour
- Non-compliance with policy terms and conditions
Provided the premium has been paid in full You will be entitled to a proportionate rebate of premium in respect of the unexpired period showing on the insurance.
It is the intention to give You the best possible service but if You do have questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim You should write to the Customer Service Manager at Warranty & Creditor Services, 6 Faraday Office Park, Rankine Road, Basingstoke, RG24 8QB stating the nature of Your complaint and Your policy number.
If You are not satisfied with the outcome You may subsequently approach the Customer Relations Department UK General Insurance Limited Cast House, Old Mill Business Park Gibraltar IslandRoad, Leeds LS101RJ
Telephone: 0345 218 2685
If it is not possible to reach an agreement, Youhave the right to make an appeal to the Financial Ombudsman Service. This also applies if Youare insured in a business capacity and have an annual turnover of less than €2million and fewer than ten staff. You may contact the Financial Ombudsman Serviceat: Financial Ombudsman Service, ExchangeTower, London E149SR.Telephone: 0300 1239123. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The above complaints procedure is in addition to Yourstatutory rights as a consumer. For further informationabout Yourstatutory rights contact Your local authority Trading Standards Service or Citizens AdviceBureau.
Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) SE is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme, if they cannot meet their obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. Most insurance contracts are covered for 90% of the claim with no upper limit. You can get more information about compensation scheme arrangements from the FSCS or visitwww.fscs.org.uk.
Data Protection Act 1998
Warranty & Creditor Servicesdo not pass any personal data about Youto any third parties without Your consent. When You apply for insurance and/or make a claim, You will be required to disclose relevant personal data about You toWarranty & Creditor Services or their agents, including data which is deemed “sensitive” under the Data Protection Act 1998.
Your explicit consent to the processing of this data, which is required under the Data Protection Act 1998, will be requested at the time of purchase or when Youmake a claim. Please note that any information that Youprovide may be shared with other insurance providers, for the purpose of preventing fraudulent claims. All information provided by Youwill be used by Warranty & Creditor Services, its agents and associated companies, other insurance providers, regulators, industry and public bodies including the police, to process this insurance, handle claims and prevent fraud.